My photographs portrait forests and landscapes in black and white. Even though the ornaments of civilization are all around us, there are still some parts of the globe where human influence is small. I want to find and photograph these almost pristine spots before they are developed and destroyed. Some places are protected and recognized as national parks, others are snippets of nature that seem to have been forgotten in urban and rural planning.
As a rule there are no people on my pictures or man-made elements. Forest and landscape photography is about enjoying nature and trying to capture a small part of its beauty. Even a great image is only a slice of the whole. The only and best way to enjoy the whole is by being there.
Working in black and white is all about shape, form, texture, line and tonal range. It’s about light and how it interacts with objects, with no color distraction.
Since 2003 my work has been on display during exhibits and published in books.
Engelbert uses: his eyes, patience, Canon 5d MK2, prime lenses (28mm, 35mm, 50mm).
Often used film cameras: Rolleiflex 3.5F (1960), Kiev 60, Rolleiflex Automat (1940), Hasselblad 500c/m, all loaded with Kodak TX400.
Staff Winter Selection 2015, Viewbug, december 2015
Viewbug Outstanding Award, June 2014
Winner CER Photo Contest 2013
Fotogram, Amsterdam 2000-2003
‘Hij vindt de natuur, waar de mens geen zichtbaar spoor heeft achtergelaten waar anderen in gedachten verzonken (denk aan smartphones, gekibbel en stress, heel veel stress) straal voorbij lopen.’
Interview met Engelbert Fellinger door Eve Oostendorp voor het vak kunst aan het Vossius Gymnasium, Amsterdam (pdf)
• Landscapes, Blank Wall Gallery, Athens 2017
• Open Atelierroute Westelijke Eilanden, Amsterdam, 2005 – 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017
• Open, SeenSeen Gallery, Amsterdam 2014
• Finnish Woods, Galerie Moon, Amsterdam 2013
• Forest and Trees, Galerie Moon, Amsterdam 2012
• Inspired by Nature with Engelbert Fellinger, Lauro Govoni, Era Vati and Anton Shirkin. Amsterdam 2012
• Onuitputtelijke Bronnen, De Nieuwe Galerie, Amsterdam 2012
• Transformations, Engelbert Fellinger, Lauro Govoni and Era Vati, Amsterdam, 2011
• Raamwerk, Amsterdam 2010
• Images from Eastern Europe and more.., 2010
• Black and white valentine, Amsterdam, 2010
• Raamwerk, Amsterdam, 2009
• Renovation and pictures, a collection of portraits, Amsterdam, 2008
• Wash and Go, Display of Eastern Europe, Amsterdam, 2008
• Community art, images of children in their neighbourhood, SVP Kunst, Amsterdam Westerpark, 2008
• The 3 signs, Museum Geelvinck Hinloopen Huis, Amsterdam 2007
• The local pub, Amsterdam, 2007
• Poster! Sugar Factory Amsterdam, 2007
• Poster! @ Kunstwinkel Zus, 2007
• Renovation and pictures, Amsterdam 2007
• Poster! @ Walls gallery Amsterdam, 2007
• Momenten van rust, Stichting Kunst in Werkelijkheid, Amsterdam Westerpark, 2005